What is the Equity Release Council?
The Equity Release Council is an organisation dedicated entirely to the protection of over 55 equity release plan holders and the promotion of safe home income and equity release plans.
Equity Release Council code of conduct
55+ Equity Release is a member of the Equity Release Council. Members of the Equity Release Council have to abide by a Code of Conduct that guarantees that our ethics and standards. We are required to:
- Ensure that all our actions promote public confidence in equity release as a potential retirement solution
- Act at all times in utmost good faith
- Communicate high expectations for equity release scheme outcomes in all our dealings
- Ensure that conflicts of interest are managed fairly and reduced to the lowest practical level
- Exercise due skill, care and diligence in all that we do and uphold the standards set out by our professional bodies at all times
- Always act with the best interest of our clients being paramount, treating our customers fairly in all our actions.
Equity Release Council mortgage guarantees
Lenders who are members of the Equity Release Council have to guarantee that you cannot lose your home, whatever happens to the stock market or interest rates; provided you keep to the agreement terms, you will never be turned out of your home. They also have to offer a ‘no negative equity’ guarantee, which means that you (or your heirs) will never owe more than the value of your property. The majority of the mortgages written by 55+ Equity Release are provided by members of the Equity Release Council.
The Equity Release Council also provides a formal procedure for handling complaints.
‘We were so impressed by how our 55+ Equity Release adviser looked after us, that I have recommended her to loads of people!’LS, successful over 55 equity release scheme applicant, Gravesend, Kent